PDA

View Full Version : New Nut

PIT Archer
06-07-2013, 05:08 PM
Hey everyone.

I have always loved weapons and war. My first love is archery, hence my name. Almost a year from now, that has developed into firearms. I love all weapons and war. However, my age and monetary situation limits me to minimal archery and pellet guns. I am looking into getting myself into this firearms world, however I need someone to show me the ropes.

I have watched youtube channels like this one for a while and have learned some, but I do not think it is enough. Although I have learned some negatives. I would like to learn from level headed people that aren't limited to certain brands. I am talking about the glock fanboys. There might be others out there like the glock fanboys, but I want to learn from level headed people that like all firearms and not just glocks.

I have a youtube channel and want to learn so I can make my channel better. I know I am ranting about wanting a sensei, but I would love any teaching and discussing in this matter. I have plenty of mentors for the ministry (If I forgot to mention it, I am called to preach) yet have a lack of mentors in this field. I joined here hoping to learn from some cool people.

GlassWolf
06-09-2013, 09:39 PM
Honestly, there is nothing, absolutely nothing to love about war. I can understand a fascination with the history of conflict, as I've studied it a bit, myself, but there's nothing glamorous or fun about combat. The chanves of returning dead or maimed and disfigured are about as good as returning unharmed, and there's a very good reason most (sane) people who've had to experience combat first hand generally don't want to discuss it with people when they come home.

That said, do you typically shoot recurve, or compound archery? I shot recurve, and my sister was on the Sydney Olympic Team USA for recurve. My best friend hunts with compound, and shoots on a league.

PIT Archer
06-10-2013, 01:31 PM
Honestly, I love studying tactics, weapons, and the history around war. I would hate to be in an actual conflict. I remember Robert E. Lee once said "It is good that war is such a dreadful thing, lest we like it." That wasn't perfect but you get the picture. I don't love the idea of killing someone, but I think combat is cool.

I shoot traditional Archery. Compound archery takes all the skill out of it, in my opinion. I love the beauty in the simplicity of traditional archery. I would almost love to compete in archery, but work, school, and church get in the way of that.

GlassWolf
06-11-2013, 07:25 AM
yeah for my sister is took a lot of her time while she was in college.. had to move to California to be at the training camp, had to travel to matches, etc.. very time consuming.

This was her shooting in MI, at a match when I had a chance to visit.

http://i632.photobucket.com/albums/uu47/Glass_Wolf/misc/JoAn0001_zps4e67cd6e.jpg

PIT Archer
06-11-2013, 07:50 PM
Ah. See, she's using sights, which is fine; but that isn't traditional archery. Traditional is just you and the bow looking down the arrow. Instinctive shooting basically. In my opinion, traditional takes more skill; but I will in no way insult her, because she's most likely a better shot than I am.

GlassWolf
06-12-2013, 03:25 AM
Try that on the US Olympic team, at 50 yards. Let me know how that works out. haha

I have two Bear Kodiak bows, both from the early 1960s. Neither of those have sights, per se. I shot with those for years. I've shot with a Yumi, as well, which an entirely different sort of archery.

PIT Archer
06-12-2013, 01:52 PM
I know at that distance instinctive would be borderline impossible.

I would love to shoot a yumi, english long bow, mongolian recurve, and all that good stuff. Right now I have to stick with my PVC longbow.

GlassWolf
06-13-2013, 06:17 AM

I've shot the larger recurve here at 40 yards with no sight, and hit a deer target square through the neck, but yeah it wasn't an easy shot for me, and I was younger with better eye sight. Anyway, these are a few shots I took one time of the two Bear bows I mentioned. The one has a sight integrated, but I've never actually dialed it in, in all the years I've had that bow (maybe 25 years now)

PIT Archer
06-13-2013, 01:00 PM
You do have nice bows.