PDA

View Full Version : New guy with AR 15 questions

smjson
02-12-2013, 04:22 PM
Howdy,
I have given into the buying frenzy and just bought a Colt AR 15 .223 at gunsamerica for $1750. I'm sure it is overpriced, but supply and demand dictates in today's gun market. At least, that's what I'm telling myself. This will be my 1st AR 15 and I really wanted a Colt so I "bite the bullet" and pay a lot. I don't know much about the AR 15 and would like some suggestions for accessaries for this weapon. Are there any "must haves"? I will use it for target practice and hopefully, prairie dog hunting in North and South Dakota. I live in Minnesota and all the outdoor ranges are pretty cold and full of snow, but I will try the local indoor range soon. I suppose this should be posted on another forum, but I am new to this. Thanks.

norahc
02-12-2013, 08:08 PM
If it is going to be a hunting rifle for p-dogs, then you will need a scope and a sling.

If it is going to be for self defense, then you will need a light and a sling.

Before you add anything else other than what I've mentioned, shoot it first and see how it feels. I would avoid adding a bunch of things that add weight and only serve to satisfy some "tacticool" use. The only accessory I haven't mentioned yet is probably the most important...spare mags. Good luck finding them without offering up your firstborn.

Grasshopper
02-13-2013, 08:59 AM
Norahc is right. The only major accessories I would say are critical are magazines and ammo. Good luck.
BTW, Im from MN too. Cool!

TheTacDaddy
03-06-2013, 06:12 AM
I love the bushnell red dot micros, most agree they are a great bang for the buck. PM me for a discount on my site anytime....