PDA

View Full Version : Modifying or Modding your gun, good idea or no?

ruger_chris
01-04-2013, 07:55 AM
Any Thoughts... I just picked up a ruger lc9 and when i tell certain people about it they say that i "must" get a trigger mod and possibly remove the magazine lock

but this is just an example,

I would like to know from more experienced people, do you mod your gun? If so what kind of mod and why?

blindshooter
01-04-2013, 09:25 AM
It's a small gun so theres not much room for customizeing. If your looking for a trigger job your going to have to fire it yourself first to see if you really want to change it. Other than that it's a fairly good gun. what kind of mods did you have in mind?

ruger_chris
01-04-2013, 10:05 AM
Well after putting about 100 rounds through it the only thing i would like to see better would be to adjust the trigger pull so its not so dang long...

someone on the forum suggested the trigger system upgrade fromhttp://gallowayprecision.com/ruger-performance/lc9-performance-parts/
obviously being pretty new to my gun i would want to send it in for a professional install.

So i guess the bottom line question is... is it safe to make these types of modifications to the gun or should i just suck it up and deal with the factory trigger pull?

GlassWolf
01-04-2013, 04:24 PM
yeah on the LC9, the biggest issue is the fact that the trigger doesn't actually fire till it's pulled entirely to the grip. It's not a great feel, and using the Galloway parts I'd linked before, you can do the job yourself, and the parts are all tested to work without causing a problem. Modifying a handgun.. well, it's a polarizing argument, but in short, if you are comfortable with doing it, or having it done, and you fire the gun enough to be sure the mod causes no issues with the gun's function, go for it.

ruger_chris
01-05-2013, 08:27 AM
GlassWolf, you've been a huge help i appreciate it. I just got back from shooting this morning and that long pull is just too long... I am ordering the galloway parts right after this post. I can't wait... i'll make sure i post the results of before and after!

GlassWolf
01-05-2013, 10:55 AM
I do suggest you remove the mag disconnect feature, too. youtube has vids on how to do that. it's not too difficult.
That "feature" can get you killed in a high stress, self defense setting.

blindshooter
01-06-2013, 07:52 PM
Ther's nothing wrong with supporting your local gun shop.

GlassWolf
01-06-2013, 09:52 PM
Ther's nothing wrong with supporting your local gun shop.

did I miss something here?

Late Innings
03-02-2013, 09:56 PM
Currently Galloway does not have the kits in stock. If you want to do the mod, it will be on your stock hammer and trigger bar. Ruger is not selling hammers or trigger bars on their site so if you have your stock parts modified, thats it, youre stuck with them. Of course you could probably slip your tail between your legs and send the gun back to Ruger to have it returned to stock but thats not an acceptable option to me.
I've got about 500 rds through mine and the jury is still out on the modification (only when Galloway gets the kits in stock)
I plan for mine to be an every day carry during warm weather. While the gun will definitely accomplish this task well, theres nothing like having a sweet gun. So I'm not sure if I'll mod or not.
Likely what I'll do is order the parts when Galloway gets them back on line and see what I think, but having my stock parts gives me choice.
BTW, I've taken my frame apart to correct a problem and following the many video's on utube, it wasn't hard at all.
IMO. Dont send your stock parts to be modified. Wait, practice and then when the parts become available decide, you'll always have choice to go back to stock.

flw
04-10-2013, 10:46 AM
Related to the post is making changes to the look of your gun. If you think you might ever need to sell your gun or are collecting it, never mod it. People want used/collector guns as they were, not as you think it should be.

Now if you would go homeless before selling, then mod away!