PDA

View Full Version : What would you do?

blindshooter
12-29-2012, 07:50 AM
Your in bed asleep and you hear one knock at your door than some strange guy just walks in your home saying he's your next door neighbors brother and he locked himself out. He claims that he locked his key's and ID are in the apartment and want's to know if you can let him in. I had this situation this morning and even though I didn't have one of my guns in reach I did have one of my knives. What would you have done?

GlassWolf
12-29-2012, 10:55 AM
Assess the threat level, get to one of the weapons and have it at hand, although I wouldn't bring it to bear unless I felt that I was in danger. I'd politely ask him to step back outside the front door and wait for me to get dressed. I'd get dressed, grab the gun, and probably make a call to 911 and let them sort it all out if I did not recognize the person myself. If they refused to leave, I'd probably draw down, tell them either to leave, or kneel down, cross ankles, interlace fingers, etc.. but I have a gun in a bedside holster at finger's reach when I'm asleep, and a pair of cuffs within 3 feet of the bed, too. Again, it's really hard to say what I'd do unless I was in the moment in any particular situation.

MP Gunther
12-29-2012, 12:18 PM
I'm sorry, if I'm sleeping in bed and someone walks in that I don't know who the hell they are, I don't care who they say they are! I'm drawing my firearm, calling 911 and let them record my conversation with the intruder...the rest would be, Let's see what happends.

blindshooter
12-29-2012, 02:40 PM
Nice response.

blindshooter
12-29-2012, 02:45 PM
I know what you mean. However when someone enters your home at ten to eight on a saturday morning your not really assessing the threat level your just grabbing what ever weapon you have to protect you and your family and takeing it from there.

GlassWolf
12-30-2012, 10:24 AM
well, I'm a light sleeper anyway, but I also have an alarm system and locked doors. How did the guy get into your house to begin with? Don't you lock your doors and windows?

blindshooter
12-30-2012, 07:05 PM
I do keep the door locked but not my window. Like yourself I'm a light sleeper so getting in the window isn't an option. In terms of the door being locked normally it is but this time I guess I forgot to lock it.

GlassWolf
12-30-2012, 08:45 PM
ouch.. bad timing I guess.

norahc
12-30-2012, 10:33 PM
Time to get a dog then.

funkymonkey1111
12-31-2012, 12:07 PM
you showed amazing levelheadedness--can only imagine what could have happened, and wonder about the ignorance level of the person that figured they could just walk in your house to get let in--even if you knew the guy it's stupid to come in somewhere you're not supposed to be unannounced.

blindshooter
12-31-2012, 02:02 PM
I'd love to have a dog but my land lord doesn't allow them. It's another down side to liveing in NYC. the owner of the building has the right to say whether or not you can own a dog.

blindshooter
12-31-2012, 02:07 PM
Thanks I'm actually quite use to it. I'm the guy who everytime ther's a homeless person sleeping in front of the building or when people get in and try to beg for money the one that throws them out.

funkymonkey1111
12-31-2012, 02:22 PM
I'd love to have a dog but my land lord doesn't allow them. It's another down side to liveing in NYC. the owner of the building has the right to say whether or not you can own a dog.

Weren't you the guy talking about the NYPD keeping you safe a few months ago? I guess if someone comes in your place uninvited, just call them. They'll be there to solve your problem in a few minutes--nothing could go wrong then, right?

blindshooter
12-31-2012, 07:38 PM
Lol they keep us safe in terms of terrorist's and people going on shooting sprees by the empire state building but other than that you need to hold your own till they arrive wich isn't always timely. I actually had to call the cops last month to help break up a party in front of my place. There was about 50 teens under the age of 18 drinking and doing drugs non of the kids had weapons but it's sad that myself and two other people had to call the cops three times before a squad car came. Hopefully by me joining the force I can make a difference.