PDA

View Full Version : NRA Blaming Video Games, thought they would be smarter then that.

Tagger57
12-23-2012, 03:28 PM
I am not trying to hate on the NRA, but coming out and saying these attacks might be because of video games just makes them look really bad. I have lost my faith in them as an organization for making such a blind accusation. Every time a study has tried to prove this link it has failed, our government has spent over 30 million dollars figuring out what most of us know, games don't cause violence. Violent crime has gone down nearly every year in the last 20 years and this is during a time where games have risen to prominence and are played by millions. Rock & Roll didn't corrupt my parents and violent movies didn't turn anyone into a psychopath, and games will not make anyone a rampaging killer.

I don't think guns are to blame for a mentally unbalanced kid shooting up a school and the NRA shouldn't foster the blame either, but passing the buck like they are doing and playing the blame game like everyone else is doing just makes me sad. Donate some money to mental health or actually do something worthwhile, don't just pass the buck!

Acts of cowardice like the once in Newton will always happen, there is no reason and no stopping violence. Humans are violent, and unless we all lock ourselves in padded white rooms we will always find ways to kill each other.

norahc
12-23-2012, 06:23 PM
While I agree to a point, they had to do something to counter the whole "blame the guns" onslaught that was occurring.

Here's something that could have saved the government over 30 million...PEOPLE CAUSE VIOLENCE. Not games, not guns, not trench coats, not role playing games, not TV shows...it is people that cause violence. As long as we, as a society, continue to teach our children that they are not responsible for their actions, and that that each action they do has a consequence, we will continue to have these problems. Think about it...these mass shootings started to become mainstream when we started to blame other things for the way our children turned out rather than accepting responsibility for our own shortcomings. As late as the 80's, we used to allow kids to carry guns in their vehicles on school property (at least in the midwest), and we never had a shooting. Hunter safety courses used to be taught on school property during nights and weekends, but now they can't be anywhere near school properties now.

blindshooter
12-23-2012, 07:45 PM
Great thread! I grew up on violent video games everything from the military shooters to zombie killers even the grand theft auto series. I'm a member of the NRA and own guns and knives. I've never commited a violent act or been in troble with the law. So I don't think video games are to blaim! what is at fault are the parents. Adults these day's don't care what their kids are doing as long as they don't end up in a pine box. They're quick to blaim video games and tv everytime a child is killed but if they bother'd to get up off they're lazy ass and actually parent instead of trying to be the kids friend maybe things would change.

Gunnr
12-23-2012, 11:36 PM
I dont think you can lay blame on video games BUT you cant just over look them either. Many kids I know idolize the players and skills they can use to "shoot em up" in these games. These kids must be mature enough to know the difference in gaming and reality. Just by running across some trolls on the internet its very well known that a lot of people are stuck in some sort of fantasy land through a modem. Parents need to limit times learning online with a balance of reality fresh air and controling lifes actions without a "controller" in hand. a little love and reality outside of the gameroom is a sure cure for a lot of this gaming lifestyle. I think less games and more life may acctually slow this mental illness thing down too. Give the kids less pills and more reality is an Rx that leads to a long life and a future full of lifes surprizes. Just my 2 cents.

GlassWolf
12-24-2012, 01:59 PM
Millions of us play violent video games, listen to gansta rap, drink big gulps, take medications, get depressed now and then, eat fast food, drink red bull and coffee, go to public schools, get bullied now and then, have people on the internet make fun of us, own and shoot guns, carry guns on a daily basis, were adopted, grew up with one parent, or even suffer from autism, and we have never committed criminal homicide. Stop blaming society for your ills, and take personal responsibility. Blame the criminal for being a douchebag, and punish him accordingly. Stop stripping my rights and liberties because someone else is crazy.

blindshooter
12-24-2012, 07:07 PM
Another shooting today this time in NY how much more proof to the anti gun folks need to realize that mental health is to blaim for the mass shootings in this country. Early today 4 firefighters and a cop were shot while trying to put out a house fire. According to the media the gunmen who was in his 60's started the fire so he could kill first responders as they arrived. If this along with the CT shooting doesn't make them belief wacko's are to blaim for mass shootings nothing will

GlassWolf
12-24-2012, 10:04 PM
they'll just go right back to their worn out argument that if nobody had guns, this sort of thing would never happen, and only cops and military should have guns.. then again according to them we don't need a military, either. Patchouli, pot, love, flowers, and peace, maaaaan

Marred
12-27-2012, 02:07 AM
I read that the gunman who shot those firefighters in NY served 17 years for manslaughter because he killed his grandmother with a hammer. What? Since when is killing someone with a hammer manslaughter? Problem 1. Lenient sentencing, plea deals and early parole and where the hell did this guy get guns? It's illegal for a felon to have guns, right?

Violent video games, movies, etc. I don't think this is the cause either but if your kid is a sick twisted psycho, parents you know your kid, it's up to the parents, granted it's nearly impossible, to not expose them to that kind of thing at least when they're younger. Problem 2. Nothing need be done about it.

Mental health care. My experience with my doctor is he will give me a pill for what ever ails me. I think that Psychologists are the same and give psych drugs to all these crazy mass killers. Problem is that children and 18 - 25 year olds can have disastrous reactions to these meds especially when they stop taking them aka withdrawal. Think about this, how long has it been commonplace to give psych meds to children? Maybe mid to late 80's? These mass shootings commited by children started increasing about when? Research it and you'll be shocked, not only mass killings but suicides and maybe another family member killed. I'm getting long winded here but here's a link to a website regarding psych meds and violent behavior. www.ssristories.com
Problem 3. TBD.

GlassWolf
12-27-2012, 09:15 AM
plea deals come about as a means to leverage a confession, or to gain information or testimony on or against co-conspirators in an attempt to arrest and convict others involved in a crime when only one, or a few of the criminals are caught. Incarceration just doesn't work. Why can't we go back to lashings and public hangings? Anyway, our prison system is already over-full with losers. They are all being supported and paid for with our tax dollars. Why not put them to work on public works projects instead? Make them do road work and the like. Chain gangs used to be used a lot more, instead of letting criminals languish and run mroe criminal enterprises from within the confines of an air conditioned and heated building with free food and a gym. They get better treatment than our returning vets.

E1kinobi
12-29-2012, 06:35 AM
I agree that our justice system is part of the problem and the solution to this whole mess our socirty is currently experiencing now. Starting in the late 60's or maybe 70's the prevailing belief was that criminality is a form of sickness hence our society as a whole changed the way they appoach the justice system in terms of jail management and penology. These are also the time when criminals were given many rights while they are incarcerated in the name of human rights. I understand the thinking that these incarcerated individuals should be treated as humanly as possible so that when they come out back to the society they would be as good behaved humans as supposed to an unleashed animal, but ovbiously this school of thought have failed our society.

The fear of going to jail for many second time offenders, even first timers, and juvenile offenders are not as intimidating as it once was. Every juvenile at least those that are frequent visitors of the juvi correctional that in there is like the YMCA. For those adult offenders on most correctional facilities they get 3 meals a day and they get to workout everyday (so basically they live their life there like its Jersey Shore "GTL" GYM, TAN, LAUNDRY). Then to top that every couple of years they can get lucky and their appeal for early release is granted, sometimes because the system is so overwhelmed that they have to release some to accept others. I know for a fact that foreigners especially Americans that was jailed in foreign jails bow not to ever get back into those jails ever again, why? Because they dont feel like club-meds in those facilities.

I understand that most mass murderers in recent times here in the US are mostly clean never been in jail oR in tRouble by law, but these people like the Columbine shooters felt that if they were not shot and killed by the responding police, that if they make it jail they are going to have a better chance because yes, even though they would be there long time becaus eof their age they have a good chance of getting out in the later part of their lives. I understand that the best years of their lives would be wasted but consider the lives they destroyed, kids they shot and killed, familys that lost a loveone while they are still alive in jail waiting for a clemancy "maybe" one day. On Lamza case its almost related we see the guy as a mentally crazy individual. Some almost felt sorry for him as those 20+ victims he mowed down, and why because we felt as a society that we could have treated the guy from his illness. I'm sorry , i might be the minority on this but I dont think Lamza has a cure-able sickness. He was pure evil and if he would have lived i would like to suggest that he should have been put in a customized human size bullet blender and spin it really slow until only half of him is destroyed and then let him out.