PDA

View Full Version : Issues with the NRA

Alias Wizard
12-13-2012, 06:23 AM
OK, first. I have a friend who had an Ohio felony conviction many years back. It was non-drug, non-violence related. His release papers after completing his sentence said' all rights of citizenship' were restored. After having his record sealed/expunged, the following paperwork said 'all rights of citizenship, not previously restored are hereby restored'. By contacting the Ohio Attorney General's office, the local prosecutor's office, the Sheriff's office, the Ohio State Patrol's office, he could not get an answer to whether his rights to own a firearm were restored. As an NRA member, I called the NRA/ILA department, but could not get past the girl who answered the phone. I gave the information as if it was me trying to find an answer to the question. I keep getting calls from their fund raising campaigns and tell them I can't afford to continue being a member but do so anyway. I never get any reply to my inquiries. Do I have to 'contribute' to their fund raising campaigns to be of consequence to the NRA as a member? At this point, I'm reluctant to renew my membership.

GlassWolf
12-14-2012, 11:02 AM
Once the record has been expunged, he should not have any issue purchasing a firearm. A friend of mine went through a similar situation, as when he was 16, he charged some items on someone else's credit card without permission, and the card holder turned him in to the secret service, thus making it a federal prosecution. Anyway, he's in his 40s now, and the charge and record was expunged and sealed. It is as if the charge never happened now, in regards to any and all of his rights.