PDA

View Full Version : Anyone shoot IDPA?

GlassWolf
10-15-2012, 04:34 AM
Anyone here participate in International Defensive Pistol Association (IDPA) events?
I'm giving some thought to trying it out. I have no desire or intention of trying to "win" anything, but it looks like a load of fun, and a great way to improve my practical shooting experience for real world scenarios.

GlassWolf
10-15-2012, 11:32 AM
Thanks for moving the thread!

MJ45
10-15-2012, 11:47 AM
I have wanted to try it for a while now!! Just never have! If you decide to compete, let me know where your going. I don't live to far from you.

Gunnr
10-15-2012, 11:50 AM
Yeah brother I just joined IDPA in Sept. Its a blast. I live in South Carolina too but I shoot in North Carolina. I live near Myrtle Beach and Buccaneer gun club and Ant hill range are just over the boarder so they are as close as Charleston which is about as close to me in SC as IDPA gets. You can shoot the club matches without being in IDPA but to shoot sanctioned matches or nationals you must be a member.These guys are very helpful and a lot of fun. Makes for a good Sat. or Sun. at the range. The rules say you can only shoot once before joining but they are not real strick on this as they are trying to build up the sport. You dont need anything special as it is set up to use your EDC and holster setup.There is really nothing to win as any prizes they might have are given like a raffle so everyone has an equal chance to win. You mostly "compete" against the clock and your previous times out to see how you improve in your gun handling and not really put up against another person. You should give it a try.Worst thing is you dont care for it and best thing is you join up and let 'er rock. I shot the postal match last month and hope to shoot in the Carolina cup and summer nationals next year.... and I suck, for now. Im working on getting better. The best thing about major matches is the hand gun greats you get to meet when youre there. Send me a PM and maybe we can hook up and shoot a match together sometime and you can check it out. Peace bro, Gunnr

lukewind2
10-15-2012, 11:51 AM
Mods, can we move this thread to the Competition board please?

Thanks!

Done, thanks for letting us know.

GlassWolf
10-15-2012, 06:32 PM
Here's what I've found for IDPA in SC

http://www.idpa.com/clublist.asp?pick=SC

Maybe we should organize a shoot sometime in SC and have a little get together.. maybe a BBQ or something come Spring.
I've been looking into some tacital/defensive handgun, rifle, and shotgun courses locally as well if anyone would be interested in getting a group together to get a group rate.

Gunnr
10-16-2012, 10:17 PM
GlassWolf that sounds like a plan. I could get in to meeting some shooters around home. I moved here 3 yrs ago and need to meet people. Nobdy I know shoots except my wife and shes just getting into it.

GlassWolf
10-17-2012, 09:31 AM
yeah I actually got here about 3 years ago myself, then talked a fellow shooter I know from back in MI where I was the 15 years prior, into moving here too. I could always do with some new friends, and it's even more fun when we can try to find a course or two to take.

otasan56
10-18-2012, 05:41 PM
I will be on Saturday.

GlassWolf
10-19-2012, 09:25 AM
Let us know how it goes! Try to get some pics and post them if you can. :)

Gunnr
05-13-2013, 08:26 PM
Been waiting on my new holster and mag pouches so I can go out and shoot some IDPA matches real soon with the right equipment. Its going to make it alot more fun. I can't wait to get back to Ant hill range and get me a good workout on a Sunday afternoon. Peace all...

Gunnr
07-29-2013, 03:16 PM
Im getting ready to rock now that I have my Sig and an OWB holster and a dbl. mag carrier from Crossbreed. The right equipment really helps in compitition and going to train at different schools. Im dying to get back at it. Its been too long since my last time out. Peace ya'll... forget the timer just work on zero down...

norahc
07-29-2013, 05:09 PM
Doesn't look like there is an IDPA club within 150 miles of me. Guess I'll have to pass for now.

Gunnr
07-29-2013, 05:56 PM
Doesn't look like there is an IDPA club within 150 miles of me. Guess I'll have to pass for now.

Bro, I gotta drive anywhere from 1 1/2hrs. to 2 1/2 hrs. to get to a club that has IDPA and thats in the next state. Its worth it for a good day of shooting for me.

norahc
07-29-2013, 06:27 PM
Bro, I gotta drive anywhere from 1 1/2hrs. to 2 1/2 hrs. to get to a club that has IDPA and thats in the next state. Its worth it for a good day of shooting for me.

Bro, I've got to drive an hour to get to the nearest McDonalds...:D Since most of the IDPA clubs in this state are in the Seattle area, I'm looking at a 3-4 hour drive one way.

If I want to go shooting, I drive 5 minutes to the Middle of Nowhere and turn left. Go up the gravel road and I get an entire mountain range to shoot on.

Gunnr
07-30-2013, 03:32 PM
Yikes bro, Thats a hike. I kinda wish I could take a drive and shoot out doors and be in nature and unbothered while training or practicing.There might be a few clubs not too far for IDPA here but I envy what you have.

norahc
07-30-2013, 07:20 PM
There's a reason I put my Zip Code in my profile. :D

flashback
08-04-2013, 10:58 AM
Anyone here participate in International Defensive Pistol Association (IDPA) events?
I'm giving some thought to trying it out. I have no desire or intention of trying to "win" anything, but it looks like a load of fun, and a great way to improve my practical shooting experience for real world scenarios.

Exactly the reason I started shooting some local IDPA matches here in Iowa...it is a great way to shoot differing scenarios rather than just shoot at the range at bullseyes. It is a fun and educational series, I ended up becoming a Safety Officer with the local club as well, it's a good way to learn the rules and help give back as well. I'm usually at the mid-pack to lower end of the "competitions" but with my bad back I have no illusions of "winning" at these meets, I just want to sharpen the skills that are part of using/carrying a weapon and along with trying to hit at least one handgun and/or rifle class a year this is a very economical way of learning as well.
Gene

NorCalChuck
08-04-2013, 02:14 PM
I have been shooting IDPA for more than 5 years and I do recommend it.
The competition is more with yourself . . . . As you attempt to get better.

Of course as time goes on some individuals do challenge each other but the results are how much you can improve.
I find that the fun is in not shooting at a still target while you are standing still.

flashback
08-06-2013, 07:52 PM
I have been shooting IDPA for more than 5 years and I do recommend it.
The competition is more with yourself . . . . As you attempt to get better.

Of course as time goes on some individuals do challenge each other but the results are how much you can improve.
I find that the fun is in not shooting at a still target while you are standing still.

NorCalChuck....recognize the name from USCCA...am I correct?
Gene

Gunnr
08-06-2013, 09:54 PM
NorCalChuck....recognize the name from USCCA...am I correct?
Gene Yeah bro. Chuck was a moderator over there.

NorCalChuck
08-07-2013, 03:41 PM
Been shooting IDPA for more than 6 years . . . .
I still have a great time and what's better than hanging out shooting with a great bunch of folks.
Especially on those sun shiny days, under the canopy in the shade.

I highly recommend it.

otasan56
09-29-2015, 05:41 AM
I do, At the only IDPA club in NH - Pioneer Sportsmens Club in Dunbarton, NH

flashback
03-08-2016, 12:32 PM
Backed out of alot of shooting for awhile there as ammo was hard to find around here but things aren't so bad now. Shot the state match last summer and was the first one I attended in over a year so I was a bit "rusty". Also ran the match with my newly purchased Sig P320C...so with two handicaps against me I went anyway. I sucked but had a great time..forgot how much fun it was and how great the people are.
Gene