PDA

View Full Version : 9mm home defence ammo. Recomendations?

Braun
10-08-2012, 08:49 PM
Like the title says. I'm looking for some decent hollow points that will proform good fired from a carbine. I've heard that some hollow points woth proform as expected with the higher velocity you get from a carbine. Any ideas?

GlassWolf
10-09-2012, 06:43 AM
My recommendation is the Winchester Ranger bonded 9mm in 124 grain, +P if you want the added velocity. The bonded ammunition still has expansion similar to that of the T-series, but with superior penetration performance.

The bullet weight will really depend on barrel length and twist rate, to be honest, since those characteristics are what will affect the spin you get on the round, and thereby, the range you'll get out of it, but that's the ammo I carry in my 9mm chambered AR at work. The bonded ammo is better for barrier penetration, but the expansion is still there for stopping power and soft tissue trauma.

http://www.sgammo.com/product/winchester/50rd-9mm-p-124gr-ranger-bonded-hollow-point-ra9ba

MJ45
10-09-2012, 11:27 AM
I agree with GlassWolf! Winchester Bonded is a great SD ammo. Also Speer GD 124gr. would be a good one. You might want to try Underwood ammo also. They have a 147gr. +p+ that would work well also!

GlassWolf
10-09-2012, 12:44 PM
I agree with GlassWolf! Winchester Bonded is a great SD ammo. Also Speer GD 124gr. would be a good one. You might want to try Underwood ammo also. They have a 147gr. +p+ that would work well also!

Please make sure your gun is rated for +P+ ammunition when doing so. Some weapons are, like the Walther PPQ, rated to handle +P with the caveat that it will shorten the life of the gun between servicing, and recommended 'not for use' with +P+, whereas the H&K P30 for example, is rated to handle any over-pressure ammunition on the market.

MJ45
10-09-2012, 01:27 PM
Please make sure your gun is rated for +P+ ammunition when doing so. Some weapons are, like the Walther PPQ, rated to handle +P with the caveat that it will shorten the life of the gun between servicing, and recommended 'not for use' with +P+, whereas the H&K P30 for example, is rated to handle any over-pressure ammunition on the market.
That is very true! I just assumed people knew that. That's what I get for assuming :D!

Braun
10-09-2012, 01:30 PM
Thanks far all the input guys! I am not sure about wether the +p is safe to use. It will be fired from a Sub-2000. I will have to take a look at the manual tonight. I dont recall any info in there about using +p ammunition.

GlassWolf
10-09-2012, 03:03 PM
If in doubt, contact the manufacturer and ask. They'll be happy to tell you for sure.