PDA

View Full Version : Words of wisdom from an old gun bunny.

wildrider666
10-04-2012, 10:00 AM
I sent most of this to a Member that just got his first firearm. I thought it might be informative to others.

Words of wisdom from an old gun bunny. Buy guns you like but when you can, get the best guns you can afford. Unless in dire straights NEVER sell a gun. You may want to trade up but what you trade is gone. Better to save a little longer and have 2, 3, 10. 30... If you are considering trading a gun for a non gun item: evaluate what that item will be worth in 10 years: a $160 Hi-Point will be worth more then the current smart phone. Every payday buy a box of ammo for your most recent purchase buy more if you can. Like money: use some save some. When you fall in love with certain guns and calibers you will also need to feed them over the long haul. The sooner you fill the pantry; the cheaper and more accessible the ammo will be. With rare exception, I requested my Wife buy me a specific gun once a year to cover all the holidays, birthdays, anniversary's, Father's Day and so on, when money was tight. When things were going good, I got a couple a year! Most folks don't remember a gift they got 10 or 20 years ago much less still have it. I DO!!!!

PS. Opinions: Engraving; Other then high quality "old school" style: you will devalue the gun. Engraving your CCW firearm with "Punisher or angel of death type names will not look good if you have to go to court. A matching AR upper and lower will be worth more then a mutt with mixed parts in the caliber of the month. If your modification doesn't prevent the installation of stock parts, keep the old parts so you can return it to stock as resale value and desirability may be higher. Examples: U.S. Gov 1911 Remington Rand modified with beaver tail and enhanced controls or a pre-ban AR with bayonet lug changed to a 6.8 cal. Cheap non-brass import ammo may be bought at 1/2 the price of brass ammo but it will cause wear and and lead to 3 X the malfunctions. I know the Pros and Cons of these opinions, but your comments are still welcome.

WR

1911GunSlinger
10-04-2012, 11:14 AM
Great info!!!

kyguncollector
10-04-2012, 03:12 PM
I agree with you 100%.

GlassWolf
10-04-2012, 07:48 PM
funny you mention that. I actually have a War-era bone stock Remington Rand 1911 U.S. Army issue .45 in the original black leather flop-top holster, with about 5 or 6 mags, and the leather double mag belt pouch from the same era.

MJ45
10-04-2012, 08:30 PM
Very nicely said!! I have considered selling a few of my guns in the past, but decided against it. No need to sell what you have just so you don't have to wait a little longer to save.

norahc
10-04-2012, 09:04 PM
I've sold 4 guns in my life, and I regret selling each one. The ones I've traded away don't bother me so much.

Braun
10-04-2012, 09:53 PM
I've never sold a gun. Dont plan to either. Theyre great blue chip investments. Especally ammo

Acmagnum
10-05-2012, 06:55 PM
Sound advice from an obvious wise man. Thank you.

MP Gunther
10-07-2012, 11:09 AM
GREAT info WR, I've sold a couple to friends and have always regreted it...especially when they've told me how well they have shot them!

KrabbeFirearms
10-07-2012, 03:50 PM
I sent most of this to a Member that just got his first firearm. I thought it might be informative to others.

Words of wisdom from an old gun bunny. Buy guns you like but when you can, get the best guns you can afford. Unless in dire straights NEVER sell a gun. You may want to trade up but what you trade is gone. Better to save a little longer and have 2, 3, 10. 30... If you are considering trading a gun for a non gun item: evaluate what that item will be worth in 10 years: a $160 Hi-Point will be worth more then the current smart phone. Every payday buy a box of ammo for your most recent purchase buy more if you can. Like money: use some save some. When you fall in love with certain guns and calibers you will also need to feed them over the long haul. The sooner you fill the pantry; the cheaper and more accessible the ammo will be. With rare exception, I requested my Wife buy me a specific gun once a year to cover all the holidays, birthdays, anniversary's, Father's Day and so on, when money was tight. When things were going good, I got a couple a year! Most folks don't remember a gift they got 10 or 20 years ago much less still have it. I DO!!!!

PS. Opinions: Engraving; Other then high quality "old school" style: you will devalue the gun. Engraving your CCW firearm with "Punisher or angel of death type names will not look good if you have to go to court. A matching AR upper and lower will be worth more then a mutt with mixed parts in the caliber of the month. If your modification doesn't prevent the installation of stock parts, keep the old parts so you can return it to stock as resale value and desirability may be higher. Examples: U.S. Gov 1911 Remington Rand modified with beaver tail and enhanced controls or a pre-ban AR with bayonet lug changed to a 6.8 cal. Cheap non-brass import ammo may be bought at 1/2 the price of brass ammo but it will cause wear and and lead to 3 X the malfunctions. I know the Pros and Cons of these opinions, but your comments are still welcome.

WR

I didn't JUST purchase it. It was purchased almost a year ago, but it was my first firearm purchase however lol. Great advice though. Anyone interested in firearms should keep this in mind rather you're getting your first gun or just addding to your collection