PDA

View Full Version : Thoughts on Concealed Carry on Campus

TheM4Maniac
10-03-2012, 11:46 PM
I'm not trying to start a debate here but I am curious. What are your views on this subject. Please back your answers and give examples if possible. Being a responsible gun owner, member of AFROTC, and trained on my weapon I feel that I should be allowed to carry my gun on campus.

GlassWolf
10-04-2012, 12:00 AM
Well, this is a touchy, and complicated subject, so I'll throw in the disclaimers here:
IF, you are leegally allowed to carry on campus, you are of the correct mind-set, and maturity, and have the proper training and responsibility to carry a concealed firearm on campus, I see no problem with doing so. I can't openly condone doing so if it's illegal, but as Nutnfancy has pointed out in his videos, if you're willing to take the risk, and the consequences of being caught (expelled from the college, and arrested, sued, what have you) then by all means, carry. Bury it deep, and make sure nobody ever sees it, notices it, finds it, or knows you carry. This would be the type of situation where a 5 o'clock position with a tuckable IWB holster, or a fanny pack holster would be ideal, so you can tuck in a shirt and never have the weapon even remotely exposed. This is the same way I'd carry in any other sensitive setting, like a public gathering, a movie theater, and so forth, anyway. Ankle, strong side, appendix, are all too vulnerable to printing, or possible uncovering by accident to risk, IMHO.

1911GunSlinger
10-04-2012, 11:43 AM
^ I Agree 100% with what GlassWolf said. I could not have said it better my self.

TheM4Maniac
10-04-2012, 05:21 PM
My future is far too important too me and for that reason I don't carry at school. Not that I don't want too. Look at the state of Colorado for proof that it does work. I just wanted to get some others POV on the topic.

GlassWolf
10-04-2012, 07:51 PM
My future is far too important to me and for that reason I don't carry at school. Not that I don't want too. Look at the state of Colorado for proof that it does work. I just wanted to get some others POV on the topic.

Carrying concealed could, at some point in your life, be the deciding factor as to if you'll have a future, so that's a bit of a two-edged sword there.

norahc
10-04-2012, 08:02 PM
Carrying concealed could, at some point in your life, be the deciding factor as to if you'll have a future, so that's a bit of a two-edged sword there.

Quoted for the truth.

TheM4Maniac
10-04-2012, 09:08 PM
True but the fact that I am studying to be a Federal agent one day, having a felony weapon charge and expulsion for college would, in a sense, end my life.

E1kinobi
10-05-2012, 09:45 AM
True but the fact that I am studying to be a Federal agent one day, having a felony weapon charge and expulsion for college would, in a sense, end my life.

Not getting your dream job as a federal agent is by no means the end of ones life. There are other jobs out there that could be an alternative. Yes its not your dream job but that is not death. Now the shooting at Virginia Tech a few yeras back that is what I consider as death ( to the victims of course). So to answer your original thread question, I say carry on but with utmost care that no one would ever discover you are packin. But ultimately I believe the government should not infringe on the rights of its citizen to carry firearms any place they choose to carry for defensive purposes.

WeaponsEducation
10-06-2012, 01:23 PM
I did a video on this, I think all students should have the right to bear arms. Great topic.

Nitro 54
10-06-2012, 05:38 PM
If a teacher or student has the proper training and carry permit, by all means....

silverbulletzx3
10-06-2012, 09:59 PM
If a teacher or student has the proper training and carry permit, by all means....

That's how I feel. If properly trained with the legal permit, I think it should be allowed. It should also be made public that the campus is CCW friendly. Like "NOT a gun free zone" signs or something.

The sick bastards that do these mass shootings always do them in gun free zones. They want to inflict the most damage in the shortest amount of time before the 15ish minute response time of law enforcement to arrive. If the shooter didn't know who was or who wasn't carrying, they might rethink even attempting a shooting in the first place. Saving who knows how many ruined lives with just having less nanny state control.

My .02

-Robb

GlassWolf
10-07-2012, 07:28 AM
I did a video on this, I think all students should have the right to bear arms. Great topic.

Yes, yet sadly higher education campuses are ironically a hotbed for "progressives" or liberal mentality, which is pretty much saying a "protectionist sheep view of the world."
I don't really want to get into an argument on politics, but the left wing and the second amendment rarely get along with one another. Heck, where I live, which is an extremely conservative deep South state, it's against state law for someone with a CWP to carry on any educational facility grounds. No daycare, primary or highschool, no college or university campuses.

blindshooter
10-08-2012, 06:33 PM
Personally I think it should be up to the student if he or she want's to CC on campus. But at the same time I think that if a student is going to carry on campus they should be put into a database at they're school so that way if something happens such as another virginia tech the campus pd will know wich student's have guns and eliminate them as a threat or god forbid find out who the shooter is more quickly.

GlassWolf
10-09-2012, 06:56 AM
Personally I think it should be up to the student if he or she want's to CC on campus. But at the same time I think that if a student is going to carry on campus they should be put into a database at they're school so that way if something happens such as another virginia tech the campus pd will know wich student's have guns and eliminate them as a threat or god forbid find out who the shooter is more quickly.

The problem with this is, the person set on a killing spree rarely if ever, registers his weapons with law enforcement before conducting the event. People who are law abiding citizens carry concealed for self defense. Criminals don't follow these lovely regulations everybody wants to put in place, rendering those ideas utterly useless. This is exactly why it's impossible to legislate or regulate your way to a safe society.

Gunnr
10-16-2012, 10:53 PM
I know college campuses are private property BUT most people in college are adults and being it is college they are educated adults so they should be able to carry concealed. They wouldnt worry the hoplophobs this way and if need be they might save some lives being its fairly easy to get on a campus even for crazy people as has been proven in the past. Its better to be alive and maybe save others from injury or death and face the consequences of a school then the alternative. Remember the bad guy dont give a shit about school rules so maybe some good guys should break this one and stay on the down low. Some day educaters just may act like they are educated and this wont be an issue anymore.

jcroberts1983
10-17-2012, 09:01 AM
I've said it before and I'll say it again, an armed society is a polite society