PDA

View Full Version : Calibers

Cram
10-02-2012, 04:46 AM
Everyone always talks about which caliber is best. I would love to see a video showing the different effects from all calibers. Also hollow pt vs ball.. In a 45 does it really matter?!

lchamp
10-02-2012, 04:58 AM
I think talking about calibers is almost like talking politics or religion. Everyone has their own beliefs and opinions. I have always opined that a well placed shot trumps caliber.

When I trained on the military 1911 .45 caliber, I just couldn't place my shot reliably. I qualified 'expert' on every military weapon I ever fired...EXCEPT the 1911. I "qualified", but not very well. I like to attribute that to the trigger having a 50 pound pull. I now suspect it was anticipation of the big bang and recoil. I shoot smaller calibers now, up to 9mm, and always have nice groups in the kill zone.

There are many videos on youtube that show differing effects.

MP Gunther
10-13-2012, 02:19 PM
I'm personally drawn to the 40 S&W, it's just works the best for me...not that I don't like going thru some mags of 9's and 45's

MJ45
10-13-2012, 04:31 PM
You know, I was talking to a buddy of mine about this yesterday. People always say, "with todays loads, 9 is just as good as 40." I like 40 not for ballistic or penetration reasons, but just because I enjoy shooting it!