PDA

View Full Version : My first Firearm purchase!

KrabbeFirearms
10-01-2012, 09:12 PM
Most people start with .22's, but I wanted something bigger...
I bought myself a 1938 Mosin Nagant 91/30 in 7.62x54R
It's nothing special, but it was cheap and bigger than a .22 so I grabed it lol
I actually enjoy shooting it and it's a great piece for $100!

kodiak99
10-01-2012, 09:17 PM
Good choice! If you haven't already been there... 7.62x54r.net. Enjoy!

KrabbeFirearms
10-01-2012, 09:23 PM
Good choice! If you haven't already been there... 7.62x54r.net. Enjoy!

Thanks for the link! I haven't been there before so I'm gonna have to check it out

Pedro3101
10-02-2012, 04:15 AM
Nice gun and has a history,

TheM4Maniac
10-02-2012, 10:09 AM
One of the best guns to buy. Can't beat the price. I mean you basically just bought a .30-06 for $100. I love mosins

KrabbeFirearms
10-02-2012, 02:20 PM
Nice gun and has a history,

thanks

One of the best guns to buy. Can't beat the price. I mean you basically just bought a .30-06 for $100. I love mosins

I agree. A nice 30-06 would have cost me about 4 or 5 times what I paid for this and there is almost no difference in power. Surplus ammo is not my favorite, but you can't beat 20 rounds for $5 lol bulk sizes are even cheaper in the long run. I would like to "sporterize" the Mosin a bit though. It would be nice to have a decent Mid-Range scope on it. When I shoot it is mostly target shooting anywhere from 50 yards to 200 yards plus. Iron sights really don't do it justice at longer range.

TheM4Maniac
10-02-2012, 04:05 PM
True. Have you seen these http://www.cheaperthandirt.com/product/9-59589 If you're trying to "sport" up your mosin these are kinda cool. They also make a nice pic rail that you can put in place of the rear sight.

KrabbeFirearms
10-02-2012, 04:09 PM
True. Have you seen these http://www.cheaperthandirt.com/product/9-59589 If you're trying to "sport" up your mosin these are kinda cool. They also make a nice pic rail that you can put in place of the rear sight.

that's a pretty cool stock. I might look into that at some later point. Right now I am focused on Optics. My current stock is in decent condition so a new one will be a later project. And the pic rail is definitely something I'm looking into

WeaponsEducation
10-02-2012, 04:52 PM
That is the best $100.00 bucks you ever spent!

Nitro 54
10-02-2012, 05:00 PM
Nice looking old rifle !!! The bayonet looks wicked

KrabbeFirearms
10-02-2012, 05:17 PM
Nice looking old rifle !!! The bayonet looks wicked

Thanks. It's one of, if not the biggest bayonet I have seen on any firearm.

CTgunguy
10-03-2012, 01:55 PM
Sweet rifle

KrabbeFirearms
10-03-2012, 07:01 PM
Sweet rifle

thank you.

milesman
10-03-2012, 07:52 PM
I agree with what everyone else said! I have about a half a dozen of them myself get as much surplus ammo as you can now just remember the old stuff is corrosive so clean first with a little ammonia and water then the usual solvent and oil oh ! and watch enemy at the gates! and here is a good link http://7.62x54r.net/MosinID/MosinDisassembly.htm

wildrider666
10-03-2012, 10:59 PM
Welcome to the Club. Words of wisdom from an old gun bunny. Buy guns you like but when you can, get the best guns you can afford. Unless in dire straights NEVER sell a gun. You may want to trade up but what you trade is gone. Better to save a little longer and have 2, 3, 10. 30... Every payday buy a box of rounds. for your most recent purchase. Like money use some save some. When you fall in love with certain guns and calibers you will also need to feed them. The sooner you fill the pantry; the cheaper and more accessible the ammo will be. With rare exception I requested my Wife buy me a specific gun once a year to cover all the holidays, birthdays, anniversary's, Father's Day and so on. When things were $ tight. When things were going good I got a couple a year! Most folks don' remember a gift they got 10 or 20 years ago much less still have it. I DO!!!!
WR

KrabbeFirearms
10-04-2012, 04:16 PM
I agree with what everyone else said! I have about a half a dozen of them myself get as much surplus ammo as you can now just remember the old stuff is corrosive so clean first with a little ammonia and water then the usual solvent and oil oh ! and watch enemy at the gates! and here is a good link http://7.62x54r.net/MosinID/MosinDisassembly.htm

yeah I try to buy new ammo when possible, but most of the time I just end up buying surplus in bulk to save some $$$. I am OCD about cleaning though lol so I shouldn't have any corrosion problems

Welcome to the Club. Words of wisdom from an old gun bunny. Buy guns you like but when you can, get the best guns you can afford. Unless in dire straights NEVER sell a gun. You may want to trade up but what you trade is gone. Better to save a little longer and have 2, 3, 10. 30... Every payday buy a box of rounds. for your most recent purchase. Like money use some save some. When you fall in love with certain guns and calibers you will also need to feed them. The sooner you fill the pantry; the cheaper and more accessible the ammo will be. With rare exception I requested my Wife buy me a specific gun once a year to cover all the holidays, birthdays, anniversary's, Father's Day and so on. When things were $ tight. When things were going good I got a couple a year! Most folks don' remember a gift they got 10 or 20 years ago much less still have it. I DO!!!!
WR

great advice. If my gifts were firearms I would for sure remember every single occassion! Even though I personally only own one rifte at the moment, I treat it like a child. I have the absolute most respect for firearms in general rather you enjoy them as sport or art/collection

YoungArShooter
10-18-2012, 07:01 PM
clean it before you shoot it

MJ45
10-19-2012, 05:41 AM
Excellent first gun! I love milsurp rifles!

KrabbeFirearms
10-19-2012, 04:37 PM
clean it before you shoot it

I've had this for almost a year now and it's be cleaned many times lol. There was a ton of grease and gunk in it when it cleaned it the first time though.

Excellent first gun! I love milsurp rifles!

thanks!

GlassWolf
10-19-2012, 10:56 PM
enjoy your Moist Nugget. you can't really buy more rifle than that for less money, although personally I'd rather spend more and get an AR or AK.

KrabbeFirearms
10-20-2012, 02:06 PM
enjoy your Moist Nugget. you can't really buy more rifle than that for less money, although personally I'd rather spend more and get an AR or AK.

I agree. ARs and AKs are much nicer, but when you're on a budget you can't go wrong with a Mosin!

GlassWolf
10-20-2012, 03:02 PM
oh, sure. $100 and $700-1200+ is a big jump when you're talking about a Nagant vs an AR.