PDA

View Full Version : Official Check In Thread For the Weapons Education/SIG Sauer Academy Training Event

Rolex John
05-27-2016, 05:54 AM
If you're registered to attend, please post a reply here. I'm going to be helping Tom with some of the event logistics. My hope is, some of the guys can get to know each other a bit before the big event in three weeks!

If you're not familiar, here's a couple of video's from Tom's channel which announce and explain the event:

https://youtu.be/VfAmkseNdAs

https://youtu.be/I1UIaAkVoYg

To register (there's still a few slots left I believe!) click here:

https://www.sigsaueracademy.com/productdisplay/weapons-education-special-event

You can email me at: john@thrumylens.org

BobC
05-28-2016, 08:46 AM
I am looking forward to the upcoming SIG SAUER Special Event hosted by WeaponsEducation on the 20th. I am a NH resident and live only 30 minutes from the SIG SAUER Academy so this is very convenient for me. I have signed up for all 5 days. I have taken two other SIG training courses in the past and found the experience to be phenomenal!

Forious15
05-28-2016, 11:51 AM
I signed up for all 5 days as well. It will be my first time running and gunning. Really looking forward to it. Got my ammo and gear ready to go. Blazing thru 2000 rounds on 5 days sounds like fun, doesn't it? Woo who!

WeaponsEducation
05-29-2016, 07:26 PM
I am excited about the trip of a lifetime. I thank John to assist me with coordinating this.

Rolex John
05-30-2016, 06:58 AM
I am looking forward to the upcoming SIG SAUER Special Event hosted by WeaponsEducation on the 20th. I am a NH resident and live only 30 minutes from the SIG SAUER Academy so this is very convenient for me. I have signed up for all 5 days. I have taken two other SIG training courses in the past and found the experience to be phenomenal!

That's great Bob - what classes did you take? Indoor or outdoor?

Rolex John
05-30-2016, 06:58 AM
I am excited about the trip of a lifetime. I thank John to assist me with coordinating this.

No problem Tom - glad I could help!

-John

Paul_H
06-01-2016, 06:38 AM
I'm also coming up for the whole 5 days. Driving up from CT on Sunday afternoon, so no airport hassles. Very much looking forward to the week, the classes sound like a great sequence. I've taken some other classes with Massad Ayoob and Chuck Taylor's American Small Arms Academy. Hoping to improve on my existing skills.

--
Paul

Rolex John
06-02-2016, 07:17 AM
Car reserved. Hotel (Fairfield Inn) reservation made. I'll order ammo and have it shipped to SSA next week. We're getting close! :cool:

BobC
06-02-2016, 08:37 AM
I took Handgun 102 & 103, both indoor classes. Every drill was a draw from holster starting with basic techniques and ending (in 103) with focus on speed and accuracy. Great experience.

Rolex John
06-02-2016, 09:02 AM
Thanks Bob! Any tips for us as a SSA alumni?

I've never before attended SSA, but I do have a fair amount of training under my belt - I maintain a rolling summary on my website here:

http://thrumylens.org/featured/a-summary-of-my-defensive-training/

Incidentally, I called today and was told that all 5 days would be outdoors.

So what kind of firearm is everyone bringing??

Rolex John
06-02-2016, 09:03 AM
Those of us how have a license to carry a concealed firearm (CCW) may find the following link useful:

https://www.nh.gov/safety/divisions/nhsp/ssb/permitslicensing/plupr.html

WhiteWolf
06-03-2016, 09:41 PM
Thanks, I am signed up for the full week. Looking forward to meeting everyone. My hotel is the Fairfield Inn and I have a car for the week. Note: make sure to mention Weapons Education when booking the room. I am bringing my S & W Performance Center Scandium 1911 / 4.25 in. I am going to utilize the ability to use their included gun rentals and test them out. :cool:

Rolex John
06-06-2016, 02:47 AM
Thanks, I am signed up for the full week. Looking forward to meeting everyone. My hotel is the Fairfield Inn and I have a car for the week. Note: make sure to mention Weapons Education when booking the room. I am bringing my S & W Performance Center Scandium 1911 / 4.25 in. I am going to utilize the ability to use their included gun rentals and test them out. :cool:

Thanks! I just sent you an email - I'd like to get your contact information for while we're in NH - please check your email.

Paul_H
06-06-2016, 08:32 AM
What to shoot right now is the million dollar question. I've used my Glock 19 for all my other training courses and think it's time to run something different. Right now I'm torn between running my Springer 9mm 1911 and a Sig 226 Legion SAO. Almost seems sacrilege to not run the Sig. May also check out some of Sig's other offerings during the week.

--
Paul

Rolex John
06-06-2016, 11:35 AM
You guys are brave to bring a 1911 to shooting class like this. ;)

Rolex John
06-06-2016, 01:14 PM
An update for anyone making a Fairfield Inn & Suites reservation: The only way to get the special room rate is to call the hotel directly and ask for the SIG Sauer Academy rate (96.00/night). Marriott reps weren't able to find it when I was speaking with them - I had to call the hotel directly. The rate difference saved me a couple of hundred bucks! :cool:

-John

Rolex John
06-06-2016, 04:51 PM
All - I took the liberty of researching some restaurants in Exeter near the hotel:

Epoch at The Exeter Inn
90 Front Street,
Exeter, NH 03833
603-772-5901

11 Water Street Restaurant
11 Water St,
Exeter, NH 03833-2440
603-773-5930

Tavern At Rivers Edge
163 Water St,
Exeter, NH 03833-2424
603-772-7393

Supreme House of Pizza & Seafood
134 Front St,
Exeter, NH 03833
603-778-8304

Pizza Academy
159 Front St,
Exeter, NH 03833-2312
603-772-5515

Rolex John
06-07-2016, 03:11 AM
You guys are brave to bring a 1911 to shooting class like this. ;)

Gents - just to clarify, I'm not at all anti-1911. I've been to many training classes and it's been my observation that the the folks bringing 1911's had more problems with reliability than others. Even the most reliable examples of 1911's will be more sensitive to the high round count (and the "gunk" inside the gun that comes with that) than their polymer counterparts. There's also the lower magazine capacity - which means you'll be running over to the reload table a lot more than the other guys, or simply shooting less.

Again, not a knock against 1911's - I love them myself! But just be aware you may be dealing with some challenges associated with the platform.

Now watch my SIG P320 Compact puke after the first magazine is run through it.... :p

Forious15
06-14-2016, 02:35 PM
Thanks Bob! Any tips for us as a SSA alumni?

I've never before attended SSA, but I do have a fair amount of training under my belt - I maintain a rolling summary on my website here:

http://thrumylens.org/featured/a-summary-of-my-defensive-training/

Incidentally, I called today and was told that all 5 days would be outdoors.

So what kind of firearm is everyone bringing??

P226 Legion 9mm, 4 mags. Plan to buy another when I get there.

Forious15
06-14-2016, 02:38 PM
Awesome thanks! When I booked there was no discount. Will call now.

Forious15
06-14-2016, 03:00 PM
I just called and got the Sig rate of $96 per night for all 6 nights. Otherwise only the 19th was $96. After that it went up from $101 to $146 by the 25th. Tourist season presumably. Thanks muchly for the tip. Soooo glad I checked the forum. Not much of a blogger.......
CU all Sunday night in the bar. I'll be the bald guy with the steely eyed squint (yuk yuk).
Joe

Rolex John
06-15-2016, 04:15 AM
P226 Legion 9mm, 4 mags. Plan to buy another when I get there.

That's awesome! I've got a 226 Enhanced Elite, but I want to try the Legion SAO model at the Pro Shop. It or a 229 Legion SAO might be a worthy addition. But I'm also wanting to order a P320 RX model...

Paul_H
06-15-2016, 09:48 AM
That's awesome! I've got a 226 Enhanced Elite, but I want to try the Legion SAO model at the Pro Shop. It or a 229 Legion SAO might be a worthy addition. But I'm also wanting to order a P320 RX model...

I'll be bringing my 226 Legion SAO. I don't think I'll run it everyday, hoping I can borrow a P229 or P225-A1 from SIG. We can probably work something out if you would like to use it some during one of the classes.

Anyone interested in meeting up for dinner on Sunday night?

--
Paul

Rolex John
06-15-2016, 01:39 PM
I'll be bringing my 226 Legion SAO. I don't think I'll run it everyday, hoping I can borrow a P229 or P225-A1 from SIG. We can probably work something out if you would like to use it some during one of the classes.

Anyone interested in meeting up for dinner on Sunday night?

--
Paul

Thanks Paul!

Yes, I'd be interested and I'm sure Tom would as well. We may try and meet up at the hotel around 5 or 6? I'm hoping to be to the hotel by 2:30pm, quickly unpack, then I want to head to the Pro Shop to do a little shopping. :cool:

Maybe it might make sense to meet up at the Pro Shop? What time does your flight get in?

Paul_H
06-15-2016, 02:10 PM
Thanks Paul!

Yes, I'd be interested and I'm sure Tom would as well. We may try and meet up at the hotel around 5 or 6? I'm hoping to be to the hotel by 2:30pm, quickly unpack, then I want to head to the Pro Shop to do a little shopping. :cool:

Maybe it might make sense to meet up at the Pro Shop? What time does your flight get in?

I PM'd you my phone number so we can connect on Sunday. I'm driving up, and was planning on being at the hotel around 2:30is myself, and also planned on some shopping after checking in. I'd be glad to meet up at the Pro Shop, I can see spending some time in that place. Call or shoot me a text when you are ready to head over to the Pro Shop.

Mathieu-B
06-16-2016, 09:18 PM
Hey everyone! I can't wait to meet you guys next week and get some top notch training. I'm coming all the way from Louisiana, so my flight will not get in till after 10 pm on Sunday. It would be nice to meet up with everyone before the training but I wont make it in time. Save some of the fun for me for the rest of the week. Should be an excellent trip.

Rolex John
06-17-2016, 02:49 AM
I PM'd you my phone number so we can connect on Sunday. I'm driving up, and was planning on being at the hotel around 2:30is myself, and also planned on some shopping after checking in. I'd be glad to meet up at the Pro Shop, I can see spending some time in that place. Call or shoot me a text when you are ready to head over to the Pro Shop.

Will do Paul - See you in a couple of days!

Rolex John
06-17-2016, 02:50 AM
Hey everyone! I can't wait to meet you guys next week and get some top notch training. I'm coming all the way from Louisiana, so my flight will not get in till after 10 pm on Sunday. It would be nice to meet up with everyone before the training but I wont make it in time. Save some of the fun for me for the rest of the week. Should be an excellent trip.

Bring us some good Cajun cookin' when you come! I wonder if you can even get anything spicy hot in NH?? :p

Rolex John
06-17-2016, 02:59 AM
From what I understand, Tom will there an hour or so ahead of us, so I'm guessing we'll all head over or meet up at the Pro Shop, then on to dinner.

-John

Forious15
06-17-2016, 04:24 AM
Cool beans

Rolex John
06-27-2016, 12:16 PM
Gents - it was great meeting, training, and getting to know all of you last week. I've completed an article which will serve as both my review of and guide to attending the SIG Sauer Academy:

http://thrumylens.org/featured/a-comprehensive-review-of-the-sig-sauer-academy/

Incidentally, I've already signed up for my next class - a P320 Armorers course being taught by SSA here in Ohio next month! :cool: